The VU Amsterdam Summer School announces the availability of ten full scholarships for international students. These scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate, master and PhD programme. The aim of the scholarships is to support excellent students who actively make a contribution to their community and/or society.
The VU Amsterdam Summer School is part of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880.
Application Deadline –
April 1, 2018
Course Level –
These scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate, master and PhD programme.
Study Subject –
These scholarships are awarded in the fields offered by the university.
Scholarship Award –
These scholarships will cover full tuition fee and accommodation costs of one course.
Number of Scholarships –
Ten scholarships are available.
Scholarship country –
Eligible Countries –
Entrance Requirements –
Courses are taught at Bachelor, Advanced Bachelor and Master level, and are suitable for students as well as for PhD staff and professionals. The following entry requirements are set:
- Bachelor: at least enrolled in 1st year of Bachelor studies
- Advanced Bachelor: at least enrolled in 2nd year of Bachelor studies
- Master: at least enrolled in final year of Bachelor studies – professionals need to have a Bachelor diploma
English Language Requirements –
It is not necessary to provide proof of English. The university expects applicants’ English to be sufficient to understand classes and course literature. This means applicants should have at least a B2 level of English, as developed within the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR). This is comparable to a Toefl internet test with a score of 92, or an IELTS score of 6.5.
Application Procedure –
- Applicants can apply through online processor.
How to Apply:
- An essay which expresses your motivation and activities to make a positive contribution to your community/the society (500-800 words). Please indicate:
- Why participation in this specific summer course is relevant for your personal and academic development, and how you will use the knowlegde in the future.
- How you currently or previously have committed to service in your community/society, including your motivation for commitment.
- A recent transcript of records (a printscreen is sufficient) which shows you have a grade point average of at least 80%. For example, if the highest possible mark is a 10, you need to have an average of at least an 8. We will take into account the differences in grading cultures.
- A recommendation letter from someone that is not a family member or a friend, e.g. a professor, a mentor, an employer etc.
- The results of the scholarship selection will be announced mid-April. Since we have a limited number of scholarships available for a large number of applicants, we suggest – if possible! – to complete your payment at the time of your course application to guarantee your place in the course. If you are granted the scholarship, the tuition and accommodation fee will be reimbursed. If due to financial reasons it is not possible to pay for your course without a scholarship, this is no problem: for all scholarship winners we guarantee a place in the course they have applied for.
See more scholarships here