We will consider the low tuition universities in the US, tuition fees, cost of living in the US as a foreign student, Admission requirement and the application process. Many international students desire to spend their studying years in the United States. In today’s article we will discuss everything an international student should know before planning to send his/her applications to universities in the United States.
You may be applying for undergraduate or master’s studies that is why we have included a list of low tuition universities in the United States, tuition fees, cost of living, how to apply and admission requirements.
But before that, note that United States is a country in North America which has over 4000 higher education institutes about 45 of which ranked in the best 100 universities in the world universities’ rankings.
Tuition fees in The United States are among the most expensive in the world. The tuition cost in a year, which does not include cost of living, and varies from one program to another is in the range of $5000 to $50000.
But courses like MBA, Medical and some other advanced programs might cost more per year. Also, it is worthy of note that private institutions charge tuition fees higher than public or community institutions.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in USA is very high when compared to other advanced countries. This is due to the high standard of living fortified with modern facilities and Technology.
International students planning to study in USA should know that there are going to the country which is a cynosure to other underdeveloped or developing countries in the world.
The currency used is The US Dollar ($). Living cost can be estimated to be in the range of $700 to $1000 in a month. This depends on two main frames – your location and spending habit.
How to apply
Applying to US universities is tedious and competitive as many students also apply. You need to have high grades results to sail through. It is very recommendable to seek how to apply from the university you intend to study your course in.
This can be achieved via the institution’s website. But to make this easier for our readers, below is a little guide to get them started;
To secure admission in the top and high-ranking institutions in USA you must have good grades, reliable financial support: parents, guardian, self-sponsored, achieving scholarships or merit based financial aids. Also, you must have good command over the English language.
The Common Application
If you do not want to do it yourself, you can seek help through the Common Application. The Common Application is a non-profit organisation, which provides an admission service for students. Students can apply to any of the Common Application institution members using the same form.
Read Also: Low Tuition Universities in the UK
Below is what you must possess before thinking of applying to US universities. Endeavor to follow them carefully; the majority of Universities in USA require TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) for foreign students (Some universities in America may accept IELTS and PTE) and GRE (Graduate Record Examination) for both in state and international Students).
There are some US universities where TOEFL is not compulsory. Also, TOEFL is not required for countries (UK, Australia, and Canada) whose native language is English. You must show letter of recommendation (sealed), copies of official transcripts (sealed) (Note: Some Universities accept verified copies by notary).
For working people they may get two letters from current Employers but generally Letters from Professors are preferred. You need to submit a statement of purpose,
For admission to Master’s Program (Graduate Program) in US; many Universities require undergraduate (BS or bachelor’s degree) GPA to be 3/4 (US system). This grade can be compared to 80/100, 12/20*(China) and 1st division, 65 %*( for most Indian Universities).
Most universities will require TOEFL from students where native language is not English or GRE (or GMAT for MBA). Application fees (nonrefundable) might vary from $20 to $100.
Read Also: Low Tuition universities in Belgium
The deadline for fall semester is from Dec 15 to July. But you have to apply much earlier. As an international student, it may take up to 8 weeks to have your results while in state students may hear within 5 weeks all depending on Program/University.
List of Universities in USA
There are more than 4000 Universities/Colleges in USA. So, you have a wide range of institutions to choose from. Many of these universities occupy the first 100 best universities in the world universities rankings.
- Stanford University
- University of California-Los Angeles
- Yale University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Cornell University
- Harvard University
- California Institute of Technology
- Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of Southern California
- Dartmouth College
- Duke University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Princeton University
- Columbia University in the City of New York
- Brandeis University
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick
- New York University
- College of William and Mary
- Purdue University-Main Campus
- Washington University in St Louis
- Wake Forest University
- Tufts University
- University of California-Irvine
- Boston College
- Tulane University of Louisiana
- Michigan State University
- University of California-Santa Cruz
- University of Iowa
- Northeastern University Boston
- University of California-Davis
- Lehigh University
- University of Florida
- Colorado School of Mines
- George Washington University
- University of Miami
- University of Connecticut
- University of California-Riverside
- Boston University
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth North Dartmouth
- Yeshiva University
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Iowa State University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Texas A & M University
- Ohio State University-Main Campus
- Northwestern University
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- University of California-San Francisco
- University of California-Santa Barbara
- University of Chicago
- University of California-San Diego
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- University of Maryland-College Park
- Rice University
- Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus
- Brown University
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Virginia-Main Campus
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Emory University
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- University of Rochester
- Case Western Reserve University
- University of Washington-Seattle Campus
- Georgetown University
:Cheap Tuition Universities in USA and How to Apply: