Tuition fees are comparatively low and inexpensive in Bulgaria. A preparatory course in English or Bulgarian costs around €2,500 (~US$2780) per year. As an international student, you should estimate average fees of €2,900-8,000 per year.
Tuition fees for medical courses are higher than other courses thus, students planning to study any medical course in Bulgarian universities should budget something slightly higher than what we have above.
If you are EU/EEA and Swiss students of all study levels, you are eligible to apply for the Bulgarian tuition fee loan, and scholarships are sometimes offered by Bulgarian universities to help international students fund their studies.
30 September is usually the deadline for applying to universities in Bulgaria in the same year before the course commences for English-taught courses, or 15 September for courses taught in Bulgarian. However, this varies from university to university.
Cost of Living
Costs of living in Bulgaria are low and affordable, especially in comparison to other study destinations. Your living costs, including accommodation, transport, food and other expenses, As an international student, you have to budget about US$7,200 per year to take care of expenses like books, accommodation, transport, food, etc.
The above estimates depend on how you spend your money on things and your living location. If you prefer to rent privately, this will cost more and should be at least €100 a month (~US$110).
How to apply
As an international student, you should apply directly to your chosen Bulgarian university. Most Bulgarian universities require international applicants to provide copies of relevant documents, which may include a diploma or certificate proving successful completion of the previous stage of education, a medical certificate, a valid passport or ID, and an English language test result (if studying in English).
Also, other universities may ask you to take an exam to test your proficiency in Bulgarian or English language depending on the language you intend to study your course in. If you are not successful in any of these proficiency exams, you may have the option to enroll in a year-long preparatory course studying either Bulgarian or English.
List of low tuition universities and colleges in Bulgaria
- Academy of the Ministry of Interior – Sofia
- Agricultural University – Plovdiv
- American University in Bulgaria
- Bulgarian Virtual University
- Burgas Free University
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy
- University of Economics Varna
- University of Food Technology
- University of Forestry
- University of Mining and Geology
- University of National and World Economy
- University of Shumen “Episkop Konstantin Preslavski”
- University “Prof. Asen Zlatarov” – Burgas
- Varna Free University
- Veliko Tarnovo University
- D. A. Tsenov Academy of Economics – Svishtov
- European Polytechnical University
- Higher School of Insurance and Finance
- “Lyuben Karavelov” Civil Engineering University
- Medical University – Pleven
- Medical University – Plovdiv
- Medical University – Varna
- National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts
- National Academy of Arts
- National Military University
- National Sports Academy
- New Bulgarian University
- “Nikola Vaptsarov” Naval Academy
- “Pantcho Vladigerov” National Academy of Music
- Plovdiv University
- Rakovski Defence and Staff College
- Ruse University
- Sofia Medical University
- Sofia University
- South-West University “Neofit Rilski”
- Specialized Higher School of Librarian Knowledge and Information Technology – Sofia
- Technical University of Gabrovo
- Technical University of Sofia
- Technical University of Sofia – Branch Plovdiv
- Technical University of Varna
- “Todor Kableshkov” Higher School of Transport
- Trakia University – Stara Zagora