To attract more international students and encourage quality research, the UAE is investing heavily in its education system. One area of education the country is particularly focusing on is medical education. The country has several highly rated medical colleges offering the full range of medical programs, including certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees as well as specialized bachelor, master, and doctorate degrees. The undergraduate medical study takes five years to complete in the UAE, which is often preceded by a yearlong foundation program in medical sciences. Post this; medical students can take the final integrated MBBS exam, a qualification which is widely recognized around the world.
Being the capital of the UAE, studying in Dubai certainly has its benefits. In addition to some of the best universities, Dubai offers great career opportunities and tax-free salaries to medical students once they complete their education.
Those who are currently exploring options to pursue their medical education in Dubai, this article lists down top medical colleges in Dubai. However, before you proceed to check the list of colleges, here’s what you need to know–
Requisites for studying in a medical college in Dubai
Before you begin the application process, here are two things you need to pursue your medical education in Dubai:
- A student visa – which is usually issued for a single year, but can be renewed easily
- A sponsor within the UAE – those who don’t have any relatives or contacts within the country are sponsored by their university
Top Medical Colleges in Dubai
Here are few colleges you can consider:
- Gulf Medical University
Established in 1998, Gulf Medical University is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, UAE. Located in Ajman, the institution also has its branch campuses in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Sharjah. The coeducational university offers:
- UG Programs – Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences (BBMS), Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT), Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), Nursing Sciences (BHS – NS), Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D), Medical Imaging Sciences(BHS – MIS), Medical Laboratory Sciences (BHS – MLS), and Anesthesia & Surgical Technology (BHS – AST)
- PG Programs – Master in Public Health (MPH), Master of Science in Clinical Pathology (MS CP), Master in Toxicology (MTox), Master of Physical Therapy (MPT), and Masters in Human Reproductive Biology (MHRB)
- Diploma – Diploma in Toxicology
GMU welcomes international students to apply for enrollment. The University provides many academic and non-academic facilities and services to its students, including a library, sports activities, financial aids & scholarships, and study abroad & exchange programs.
- Dubai Medical College
Founded in 1985, Dubai Medical College is one of the oldest educational institutions in the UAE. Located in the emirate of Dubai, the Dubai Medical College is recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, UAE. The coeducational institution is formally affiliated with the Islamic religion and offers courses and programs which prepare its students for officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees in several specialized fields of study. The college welcomes international applications and provides several academic & non-academic facilities to all its students.
- Dubai Pharmacy College
Dubai Pharmacy College (DPC) was established in the year 1992. The private higher education institution is the first Pharmacy institution in the Gulf region. Located in the city of Dubai, the college is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, UAE since 1998. The coeducational college offers:
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm) program
- Masters of Pharmacy (MPharm) program specializing in–
- Clinical Pharmacy; and
- Pharmaceutical Product Development
- Professional Certificate Course in Regulatory Affairs
The college nurtures technological innovation, development & research. It has modern instructional lecture rooms and laboratories which simplify learning advanced courses for the students. DPC also provides hostel facility to international students. The facility has well-furnished rooms as well as numerous facilities such as health club, tennis court, swimming pool, etc.
- Dubai School of Dental Medicine
Before it was established in 2013, the Dubai School of Dental Medicine was earlier known as the Boston University Institute for Dental Research and Education (BUIDRE). Located in the Dubai Health City, Dubai School of Dental Medicine is authorized by the Ministry of Higher Education. The College offers the following courses:
- Master of Science in Endodontics
- Master of Science in Oral Surgery
- Master of Science in Orthodontics
- Master of Science in Pediatric Dentistry
Hope this list will help you in making the important decision of choosing the right college for your medical education.
All the best!
About Megha Raizada –
Megha Raizada is a professional writer working with the premium job portals. She has a keen interest in the global job market, but also loves to keep a track of everything interesting happening around the globe. You can reach her at Twitter and Google+.